You spend a lot of money on your trucking business, so you want to be sure it’s protected. After all, your truck is your livelihood – that’s why motor carrier insurance designed specifically for for-hire truckers is so important. Choosing the right motor carrier coverage is the best way to protect your investment and your business.

Truck insurance from one of Horizon Insurance Services partners will not only protect your business and provide the coverage you need, it offers you some of the best rates in the industry.

For-hire truck insurance recommendations

Many motor carriers use permanently leased independent contractors. If you are one of these for-hire owner-operators, you may receive Primary Liability insurance under your Motor Carrier’s authority. However, you may still need to purchase “Contingent” or Non-Trucking Liability insurance, as well as Physical Damage coverage for your vehicle. There are many for-hire truck insurance options. Read below to learn more about the types of motor carrier insurance coverages you or your contractors may need.

Mandatory motor carrier truck insurance coverages

Liability insurance is a mandatory motor carrier insurance coverage that pays for damages you cause to other people and their property. Liability insurance coverages for motor carriers includes Bodily Injury insurance and Property Damage coverage.

Optional motor carrier insurance coverages

To make sure you have the best protection for your truck when you’re on the road, you should also consider purchasing some of the optional motor carrier insurance coverages:

  • Physical Damage coverage – Can pay for repairs to your truck if it’s damaged in an accident, whether it’s caused by a collision with another vehicle or a falling tree branch and can include Collision insurance, Comprehensive insurance, or Fire and Theft with Combined Additional Coverages.
  • Medical Payments insurance – Available in select states, this first party coverage can pay medical bills for you and any passengers in your truck in case they are hurt in an accident or auto-related injury.
  • Uninsured Motorist insurance – Can pay for injuries and damages to you or your passengers and your vehicle, where available, caused by drivers who either don’t have insurance or don’t have enough insurance to cover your injuries and damages.
  • Motor Truck Cargo insurance – Can pay for damages to cargo you’re hauling.

State and federal motor carrier insurance filings

To operate under your own authority, motor carriers must often meet various financial responsibility regulations based on the weight of vehicles operated and commodities hauled.

Horizon Insurance Services makes it easy to obtain motor carrier filings for your required levels of financial responsibility. From the Form E to MCS-90 filing, Horizon Insurance can help. Once you obtain your motor carrier authority, we’ll take care of the rest. We’ll even file all of the paperwork for you.

Types of commercial auto insurance filings include:

  • Form E: Confirms that your commercial auto insurance meets state guidelines.
  • Form F: Policy endorsement that customizes your coverage to meet financial guidelines in your state.
  • Form H: Declares that you have sufficient cargo liability insurance.
  • Form K: Cancels a previous state insurance filing.
  • MCS90 endorsement. An endorsement that must be attached to the auto liability policy of certain regulated motor carriers to ensure that federally mandated coverage (e.g., required liability limits and environmental restitution coverage) is in place.
  • BMC91 filing. A document submitted to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). The BMC91 filing guarantees the FMCSA that you have enough Liability insurance to cover the increased risk of transporting goods or people across state lines.

Request quote online here or call 702-448-2180 for expert advice.